Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Terrifier 3

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrifier 3                                                                    G
I can’t believe how popular Art the Clown became.  (I think he’s more of a mime, but I’m okay with him being a clown).  This was the number one movie in the country last weekend!  A fourth film was already mentioned before this was even released!  [I wonder if a 4th one was intended from the get-go though, because this one didn’t conclude].  Plus, there may be a fifth one too!  (Apparently Art, much like other cinematic baddies, can’t be killed).  Am I a fan?  I guess you can say I like him enough (I do own a miniature Art smashie I basically got for free after coupons).  There was a whole bunch of “negative” publicity before this was even officially released, i.e. 9 people walked out of a U.K. premiere before the opening sequence, France banned minors from seeing it, and two people passed out during a screening in Australia.  Yada, yada, yada.  Oh, and there was a Christian group that protested it outside of a theater in Kansas City.  Cue the eye-rolls.  Negative publicity is still publicity that’s only going to make people more curious, even though fans of the franchise are going to watch it anyway.  Plus, controversy always gives movies an edge, eventually garnering cult status as a result.  In regards to those that walked out, passed out, or were maybe even just grossed out, what the hell did you expect from a Terrifier movie?!  Did you even see the first two?!  [My reviews of those are in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/06/mooby-reviews-61318.html, and here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/11/terrifier-2.html].  Yes, this is gory, very gory, but it’s a friggin’ Terrifier movie that delivers exactly what you’d expect!!!  Art is crazy and the whole fun of these films is seeing what he’s going to do.  Plus, it’s so over-the-top, as has also become expected for the franchise, that it’s more fascinating than nauseating, at least for us horror fans; there was even a gory scene here that audience members laughed at because of how far over-the-top it went!  Put it this way, if you were able to stomach the first two, you’ll do fine with this one.  Anyway, five years after Terrifier 2’s events (yes, you do actually need to watch these in order), Sienna, the female protagonist from that film, goes to stay with her aunt, uncle, and young cousin after being in and out of an institution, while Art slices, chops, eviscerates, what have you, any poor souls he comes across before their eventual and inevitable confrontation.  No one is spared either, not men, women, or children.  Some scenes reminded me of ones from Jason X, Pieces, and Sinister 2, the scenes here definitely giving those a run for their money.  I enjoyed this enough (didn’t even seem like it was roughly 2-hours) to definitely deem it a worthy addition to the franchise, as well as Christmas horror flicks (yes, it is a Christmas movie, if you somehow didn’t know, even though it came out during Halloween).  A jolly, bloody good time!  10/15/2024

Bonus review:

It’s Me, Billy
It’s Me, Billy Chapter II                                              EH
Silly me thought It’s Me, Billy Chapter II was a direct fan film sequel to the original Black Christmas.  Luckily I read the entire intro before the film (available on YouTube) or else I wouldn’t have known that it was actually a sequel to another fan film (It’s Me, Billy) released in 2021 (also available on YouTube).  Therefore, I watched both, not back-to-back, but you very much can, given they’re both a little over 40-minutes each (hence, an 80-plus minute feature).  Those that are fans of Bob Clark’s Black Christmas (as I very much am) will recognize the title as the words uttered by the killer in that seminal Canadian feature.  Black Christmas is definitely one of my favorite slasher movies, maybe even movies period, one that didn’t originally get as much recognition as it deserved (I didn’t even see it until right after high school), and it’s one that never had countless sequels like many of its ilk; two remakes, yes, but no official sequels (you can read my review of the original film and the first remake in here---https://vampireclown82-2.blogspot.com/2016/11/imdreaming-of-blackchristmas.html, and my review of the second remake/reimagining here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/12/black-christmas.html).  I may not necessarily think fan films are great, but I do look forward to watching them; expectations usually aren’t that high and many aren’t even feature-length (my review of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre fan film, The Sawyer Massacre, is in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/11/terrifier-2.html, and there’s a link in there for my reviews of some Friday the 13th fan films).  The first in this duo of fan films, both written and directed by Bruce Dale and Dave McRae, follows the granddaughter of Jess (played by Olivia Hussey in the original film) traveling with two of her friends to the sorority house (not the same one, obviously) the murders occurred at all those years ago.  Based on the title, I don’t think I need to tell you that Billy is still alive in the house and not everyone makes it out alive.  Was I a fan of this fan film, films collectively (the second part picks up right after the first)?  No, I wasn’t (my rating, which goes for both, should’ve told you that).  The original Black Christmas worked well enough just knowing “Billy” was a psycho that happened to end up in a sorority house killing the inhabitants; seeing or knowing any more about him just ruins the mystery.  Yeah, I may have grown to appreciate the first remake over time (as you’ll see in the review above from one of my other blogs), but it still didn’t need to exist.  I understand these films were “unofficial” sequels and simply meant to be mild forms of flattery (as all fan films are), but I still don’t think they were worth watching, or necessary, above all.  There will always only be one Black Christmas!  R.I.P. Bob Clark.  [On a side note---one actress from the original film makes an appearance in Chapter II playing the sister of her character].  10/13/2024

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

#AMFAD: All My Friends Are Dead  >>>EH/OK

Daddy’s Head  >>>EH

Eight Eyes  >>>OK
   (Sometimes in subtitles)

Family Guy Halloween Special  >>>EH
                        (Hulu)

Haunt Season  >>>OK/G

Mr. Crocket  >>>EH/OK
   (Hulu)

The Platform 2  >>>EH/OK
   (Netflix; In Spanish with subtitles)

Snack Shack  >>>OK

---Sean O.
10/16/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment