Sunday, December 4, 2016

Mooby Reviews 12/4/16

Here's some current film reviews:

Front Cover                                                                G

Pretty good realistic portrayal of being gay in the modern world involving an open Chinese-American and a closeted Chinese actor in New York.  It shows how some people still have to be discreet in certain cultures and industries.  The mildly depressing ending further emphasizes the harsh world we sometimes have to hide our true selves in.  The movie ultimately shows that certain struggles are universal.  12/3/2016

The Gateway                                                               G

I actually did enjoy this unheard-of indie film released through Uncork’d Entertainment which is known for releasing (generally) below-average horror flicks.  A few minor plotholes aside, it had my attention during its scant 74 minutes.  The practical creature(s) isn’t too bad either and the evolution of it is quite intriguing albeit mildly perplexing.  11/28/2016

Moana                                                                         G
This wasn’t as good as Inside Out.  I have to see every Disney movie that comes out.  At least that’s one thing I never grew out of.  What am I talking about?  I’m very young at heart.  This film looks amazing for an animation.  With Disney’s name attached, I expect nothing less!  Moana would be a better example of female empowerment over the Ghostbusters remake which basically rubbed feminism in our faces.  There’s some funny moments (kids laughed in the theater) and some of the songs are catchy but most of them are dull.  Much of the film is silly and appears to be solely for the young’uns and not their adult counterparts.  I guess I’m not so young at heart after all?  Shut up, yes I am!  I can’t find it in my mostly-darkened heart to ever truly dislike a Disney movie.  Although I did dislike Cars and Cars 2 and apparently a 3rd one is coming out!  It better be better than the first two!  I liked this when all was said and done.  I just don’t think it’s going to be remembered along the same lines as Disney classics (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin and many others) of yesteryear.  11/29/2016

Night of the Living Deb                                               OK/G

Another zombie movie?  Cribs the title from the George Romero classic but is more in tune with Shaun of the Dead.  I liked the two protagonists.  It was funny and fun tagging along.  It becomes conventional once more characters enter the picture.  I would’ve enjoyed this more if it revolved solely around Deb and the “one-night stand” guy.  There is a slight twist at the end that puts the entire movie in a different light.  It’s not jaw-dropping by any means, just makes it a slightly different movie and I kind of dug it.  11/28/2016

Nine Lives                                                                   OK/G
This body-switch film is actually quite creative at times and Kevin Spacey is quite convincing as a cat.  It’s funny sometimes too.  It’s cliché as hell too.  It contains the typical I didn’t realize how good I had it in my other body plus I observe how nasty I may have been to those around me revelation present in these types of films.  It wasn’t the worst I’ve seen.  Kiddies will probably enjoy it.  Cat lovers might too.  Everyone else will most likely wish this is the only lifetime (not the next eight!) they’ll see this movie.  11/30/2016

The Ones Below                                                          EH
Do we really need another Rosemary’s Baby imitator?  Maybe if it was actually worthy unlike this movie.  No curveballs thrown here.  Good fences make good neighbors unless you live in an apartment, half-house or condo.  12/3/2016

Paperhouse                                                                 G
I can’t believe I never saw this late 80’s film directed by the same guy that made Candyman.  This film was imaginative and thoroughly enjoyable.  There’s sappy moments but there’s also dark moments and a dash of suspense.  I mean, who wouldn’t want to escape to a world they concocted when their own world is getting to them?  11/29/2016

Summertime                                                                OK
Just because it’s a good story doesn’t mean it needs to be feature-length.  This French film about a lesbian romance amidst women’s rights in the early 70’s fits that description perfectly.  It points out some of the hypocrisies of movements like women’s rights and depicts how same-sex relationships were still considered perverted not that long ago, but it didn’t need to be so boring.  Many short stories and short films have provided long-lasting messages and influences.  This film would’ve benefitted from a shorter format.  11/28/2016

The Unbidden                                                             EH/OK
Ever imagined The Joy Luck Club as a horror movie?  Yes, that was a racist joke because, after all, only honkies (regardless of sexuality) can be racist right?  Barely a horror movie and more of a drama involving a murder all the Asian women keep secret for years (one of them appeared to be Caucasian when younger but became at least half-Asian when older?---whatever, all the older women were pale-skinned anyway).  Oh, there is a ghost that isn’t really involved until the end.  Although I expected a straight-up horror movie (it was marketed as such and in the horror section on Redbox), it doesn’t make for a bad dramatic thriller.  Far from perfect and ends sappily.  When most of the cast and crew are Asian-American and involved in something subpar like this, I am going to mention the race!  I love Asian horror movies and many different Asian foods.  I hate everyone, leave me alone!  11/28/2016

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment