Saturday, February 1, 2020

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 3


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Chilling Adventures of Sabrina:  Part 3                      OK/G

“… Given how much I disliked this season, it’s going to take much convincing and several review readings (something I try to avoid as much as possible beforehand) to make me tune in the next round…”

That statement above was part of my review for the second season (or part, whatever) of this dark teen series available on Netflix (you can read the entire review in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com).  Well, I didn’t take any convincing or read any reviews before watching this part/season and, instead, let my curiosity and OCD get the better of me, in addition to the end of part/season 2 promising a better storyline (as all endings for TV shows and movie franchises tend to do).  For those that haven’t yet watched this series and have a hesitant desire to, let it be known that I can’t remember a damn thing from part/season 2 even after reading each episode’s description on Wikipedia, so I say just skip part/season 2 and let “Sabrina” herself (Kiernan Shipka) give you a rundown of what happened before this part/season’s first episode (2 minutes as opposed to roughly 9 hours, you’re welcome!).  I can’t say I’m entirely enamored with this show, but I “like” it…I guess.  With the exception of part/season 2, I think it’s a little better than okay, put it that way.  I think the first part/season is the best so far, minus the first episode (you can also read my review for that part/season in the archives), but this part/season comes close; it was infinitely better than the last part/season, that’s for sure.  It consists of eight one-hour (give or take) episodes and they sometimes do actually feel that long (an hour an episode for a TV show is quite lengthy after all), but they are generally entertaining too (I don’t remember being bored too many times).  As of now, there is a fourth part/season planned with no air date yet.  Sure…yeah, I think I’ll tune in for it; this part/season definitely made me a little more interested in the series again.  1/31/2020


Bonus review:


One Cut of the Dead                                                   OK
I heard from more than one source that this Japanese film was a unique zombie movie, or at least a good one, I’m not sure, so I looked forward to watching it (being that “unique zombie movie” is basically an oxymoron anymore).  [POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD]  Well, it’s technically not a zombie movie; just a zombie movie within a movie.  Meaning, the majority of this film is a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the roughly half-hour zombie film you thought was the real film in the beginning.  Normally I like to choose whether I want to see the making of a film on a DVD/Blu-ray extra (and depending on the length of the feature, I usually pass).  Don’t get me wrong, it was very creative in showing how everything was accomplished in the film-within-the-film (which was as standard as zombies movies come), but it just wasn’t what I expected before watching.  Instead of thinking I spoiled it for you, perhaps think of it as making you go in with a different expectation so as to avoid disappointment like me (although I appear to be alone since it received 100% on Rotten Tomatoes out of 83 critics).  2/1/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Bliss  >>>OK/G

Ever After (Endzeit)  >>>EH/OK

Hagazussa  >>>B


---Sean O.
2/1/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment