Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Wounds


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Wounds                                                                       OK/G
Having recently read the short story, “The Visible Filth,” in Nathan Ballingrud’s collection, Wounds:  Six Stories from the Border of Hell, I wanted to watch this film based off of it.  I was interested in checking out that collection upon reading a review for it Rue Morgue Magazine (putting it on my ‘to-read’ list) and even more so after seeing it voted one of the best books of 2019 in said magazine (finally enabling me to check it out).  “The Visible Filth” happened to be my favorite story (out of 6) in Wounds and this adaptation is pretty much 100% faithful to it.  Back in the day, I likely would’ve praised it for being so faithful, but now it makes me question what the point would be to watch a film adaptation in which you know what’s coming (vice versa for those that read after watching).  Now, did I like it, the movie and/or book (just because I said it was my favorite story in the collection doesn’t mean I liked it)?  Well, since the film was largely faithful to the story, I pretty much felt the same way about both.  I did like them, for the most part, but still felt both were missing more to the story.  As for what I should tell anyone reading this?  If you are more of a reader, read the story in the aforementioned collection.  If you are more of a watcher, watch this movie.  If you like to do both like me, I would suggest reading the story first to avoid having the film’s visuals in mind (especially since they’re both identical), but do what you see fit.  Regardless of which source you do decide to go with though, don’t expect any easy answers regarding the twisted (as fuck) ending.  2/17/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Blanketyy  >>>B
            (short film; Shudder)

Into the Dark:  The Body  >>>OK/G
            (Hulu)

Seoul Station  >>>EH/OK


---Sean O.
2/18/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment