Sunday, February 16, 2020

Locke & Key: Season One


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Locke & Key:  Season One                                         OK/G
I do remember reading the comics in which this 10-episode Netflix series is based, but I can’t remember a damn thing from them.  I do remember liking them enough to continue borrowing them from my local library though.  According to Wikipedia, there are 6 collections with a total of 37 issues and I’m not even sure I read all 6.  Since I forgot what I read in the comics, I basically went into this series blind.  A family of four move from the West Coast to New England after a tragedy and discover several keys with different powers in the house they move in to (one can look inside your mind, one turns you into a ghost, one can start fires, etc.).  I liked the characters and the setting (I want that mansion in the middle of the woods!) and loved the first couple episodes, but it unfortunately does lose steam somewhere in the middle and seemed to include a lot of filler during the last half.  It’s a shame too because I really thought I was going to love this series judging on the first half.  It is more fantasy than horror (although it gets dark at times) despite the comics being written by Joe Hill (Stephen King’s son, if you didn’t know by now) and there being references to the legendary [special effects guru] Tom Savini, who even makes a cameo (as does Mr. Hill).  With said names involved, it makes me wonder why it wasn’t more of a horror series.  Anyway, it is still a binge-able show (episodes ranging from 40 to 57 minutes), even though I was disappointed with the second half, and I would be willing to tune in for at least another season (preferably with less filler).  2/15/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Anna  >>>OK

Catcalls  >>>EH
     (short film; Shudder)

Dust Devil  >>>OK

Gwen  >>>EH/OK
     (Shudder)

---Sean O.
2/16/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment