Monday, August 24, 2020

1BR


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


1BR                                                                             OK/G
Anyone that’s ever searched for an apartment knows the title stands for 1 Bedroom (as should anyone with common sense).  The young lady in this movie is looking for such a place when she moves to L.A. and lucks out when obtaining one at a complex containing a seemingly welcoming community wherein everyone knows everyone.  Like with most things that seem too-good-to-be-true though, this apartment complex has a shady way of “welcoming” people into their group.  First, she gets a nasty letter.  Then, her pet is murdered inside her own apartment.  Then, things get really twisted.  Like with most films nowadays, especially ones with similar premises, this film does feel derivative and is predictable at times, but I enjoyed it enough to recommend at least one viewing.  Someone else told me to go in with low expectations and, dear reader, I’m telling you to do the same!  8/23/2020


Bonus review:


The Wretched                                                              EH/OK

There aren’t too many witch films of the horror variety and I’m still waiting for one that I can claim to be great, aside from Suspiria (the original, not the awful remake) which was made over 40 years ago!  Sure, there’ve been good ones like The Craft, The Witch, and The Autopsy of Jane Doe (I probably spoiled that film if you haven’t seen it, but it’s still worth checking out), but none were what I’d call great.  Sadly, I can’t even add this film to the list of good witch films (in the horror genre), and it’s a shame too, because the film looks good, the characters were passable, and it explores a type of witch we haven’t really seen much of before (the mythological/body-swapping variety).  My main problem with the film was the creature effects (like always, crappy designs can really make or break a picture).  I also thought the film was very derivative of better films, particularly from the Eighties, Fright Night and The ‘Burbs being ones that came to mind.  It’s also never a good sign when you no longer care about a movie long before it’s over.  Perhaps if this had better creature effects and a couple script adjustments, it would’ve been less (ahem) wretched.  8/21/2020


Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Body Cam  >>>EH

Hitch-Hike (The Naked Prey)  >>>EH/OK

Into the Ashes  >>>OK

The Mutilator (Fall Break)  >>>EH/OK

The Postcard Killings  >>>EH

Random Acts of Violence (2020)  >>>OK


---Sean O.
8/24/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment