Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Uncaged/Prevenge


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Uncaged                                                                      OK/G
Decent natural horror film from Amsterdam (yes, a bit of it is in English, but it’s mostly in Dutch with subtitles) involving a lion loose in the city and its surrounding area.  The lion obviously isn’t real (its face alone will tell you that), looking like a mixture of CGI and practical, and could’ve looked a lot worse than it did, I guess (The Ghost and the Darkness and 2007’s Prey managed to effectively use real lions…just saying).  There is gore, that’s for damn certain, one or two parts even being slightly sickening.  Not a bad addition to the subgenre aside from the creature design not being the best (but passable enough) and that 20-minutes (give or take) could’ve been shaved off the run-time.  8/17/2020



Prevenge                                                                     EH
I know film criticism is subjective, but sometimes I wonder if I saw the same movie as critics and/or people.  This film is one of those instances; it received 91% out of 85 critics on Rotten Tomatoes and I’ve heard it praised within the horror community.  This movie was fucking asinine!  Not only is it formulaic AF, but its tonally inconsistent, being a movie that is much more whimsical in nature when it could’ve been deadly serious, and not in a fun way like Serial Mom.  It is meant to be a black comedy, yes, but it still didn’t work for me.  In it, a pregnant woman kills people that her unborn baby directs her to.  Yes, her unborn baby talks to her.  It’s all apparently a result of an accident that took the life of the unborn baby’s daddy.  This movie was stuuuuuuuuuuuuupid.  I’m just amazed 91% of those critics (77 out of 85?!) on Rotten Tomatoes didn’t hate it instead.  Seriously, did we see the same movie?  8/16/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Animal Crackers  >>>EH
            (Netflix)

Banana Split  >>>OK/G

Inheritance (2020)  >>>EH/OK

The Siren (2019)  >>>OK/G

Squirm  >>>EH/OK


---Sean O.
8/18/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment