Sunday, August 9, 2020

Monstrum


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Monstrum                                                                    G
The setting is Korea during the early 16th century.  A creature (the eponymously named) is said to be killing people and causing a plague throughout the land (a plague that once ravaged the land years before).  Many believe it to be mythical, but we and all the characters learn it to be very real.  We do get to see the creature and, while it’s obviously not practical, I didn’t hate it, and they do an acceptable job of integrating it fairly seamlessly amongst the set locations and action sequences (I can forgive CGI under the right circumstances, even though I will always prefer practical).  It actually managed to hold your attention during the scenes without the creature as well.  While not an excellent film (a moment involving flatulence wasn’t exactly necessary), I’d say it’s a sufficiently recommendable historical creature feature.  Available on Shudder.  8/7/2020


Bonus reviews:


Deep Blue Sea 3                                                          EH
(haiku review)
Quite lame, long shark flick.
Unnecessary threequel.
First one was the best.  8/4/2020

[Check out my review for Deep Blue Sea 2 in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com].



Trolls World Tour                                                       OK
(haiku review)
It involves music.
Its message always welcome.
It wears itself thin.  8/7/2020

[Check out my reviews for Trolls and Trolls Holiday in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com].



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Grand Isle  >>>OK

Never Rarely Sometimes Always  >>>OK/G

Waldo on Weed  >>>G

You Should Have Left  >>>OK/G

Yummy  >>>OK
            (Shudder; In Dutch/English with subtitles)

0.0  MHz  >>>B
(Shudder; In Korean with subtitles)


---Sean O.
8/9/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment