Saturday, August 21, 2021

Death Rink

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Death Rink                                                                  OK/G
A slasher movie set in a skating rink.  I’m surprised it hasn’t been done before.  If it has, do correct me, please.  This follows a group of workers after hours at the skating rink and eventually bodies hit the floor.  [An alternate title was Skateway Massacre, but I think they went with a better title].  I’m not sure when it exactly takes place, I just know it’s after the Eighties since the decade was mentioned; there is a Blockbuster card in one scene, and at least one character mentions having a phone (cell phones did start appearing around the Millennium and Blockbuster was still around until the end of the 2000s); I don’t know, I just don’t think it occurs during the present.  Anyway, in order for a slasher movie to work, given how plotless they are and viewers know exactly what to expect, there needs to be good characterizations and kills that are at least worthy; style and setting can certainly work in their favor too.  Well, this film definitely has characters we get to know, whether we like all of them or not, and while some kills aren’t exactly executed well, some are worthy (ones involving a pizza cutter and traffic cone come to mind).  The killer was obvious from the get-go (at least to me), not only due to presented information logically pointing to only this one person, but if you pay attention during one kill, you’ll notice their face through the mask (which was a pretty nifty alien one).  I care not about that aspect of slasher movies though, more so if the rest of the movie is good, or at least okay (I don’t expect much from most slasher films).  Sure, this may not be lumped on the same level as the great slashers of yesteryear (Black Christmas---1974, Halloween---1978, Sleepaway Camp, etc.), but it was a decent 74-minute film that I would recommend to slasher fans only that aren’t too picky, or picky at all for that matter…8/17/2021

Bonus review:

Virus Shark                                                                 VB
(haiku review)
Sharks cause pandemic.
This film is utter garbage.
So bad it’s awful!  8/21/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Apex Predators  >>>B

Blood Pi  >>>EH

Brand New Cherry Flavor (Season 1)  >>>EH/OK
            (Netflix; 8 episodes)

The Broken Hearts Club:  A Romantic Comedy  >>>OK

Held  >>>EH

Phantom of the Megaplex  >>>EH/OK

Playing with Fire (2019)  >>>OK

Till Death  >>>OK/G

---Sean O.
8/21/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment