Saturday, August 14, 2021

Ten Minutes to Midnight/A Quiet Place Part II

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ten Minutes to Midnight                                             OK/G
Caroline Williams playing a radio host?  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 much?  Not quite.  That’s where the comparison ends.  This was also Nicholas Tucci’s last role, he likely most famous for You’re Next, in which this film was dedicated (he was only my age when he passed!).  Caroline’s character shows up to work one night before her retirement after being bitten by what appears to be a vampire bat.  The night gradually gets more bizarre, and bloodier, even going down David Lynch territory towards the end.  There was something hypnotic about this film and there appears to be good metaphors for certain topics, I won’t reveal which in case I’m wrong, which I have been before (I’d love to hear your thoughts).  It’s barely even 72-minutes, so time spent will not be an issue, the vampire designs (when present) are old school too (meaning worthy), but I can’t ultimately say it was as good as it could’ve been (especially with its potential).  It did feel like one of those films that might age better though, and I’d still tell horror fans to check it out.  I wonder if a character eating Chinese noodles was a nod to The Lost Boys?  R.I.P.  Nicholas Tucci.  8/12/2021

A Quiet Place Part II                                                  OK
I wasn’t too excited about this sequel, not just because it was a sequel, but because I wasn’t too crazy about its overrated predecessor (you can read my review for it here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/04/mooby-reviews-4818.html).  The first film wasn’t that bad, I just wasn’t a fan of the creature designs, which can totally make or break a creature feature, the first film being a good example of crappy effects ruining an otherwise decent movie.  Maybe if their heads didn’t expand they wouldn’t be too bad…I don’t know, that’s just me.  This sequel picks up where the first one ended right after a flashback scene to when the end of the world began.  It’s more or less the same film with more characters added and the creatures not making as much of an appearance…I think.  That can either be a good thing (for me) since I’m not a fan of the creature design (they are the same here, obviously; why wouldn’t they be?), or a bad thing if creatures are more absent in a creature feature.  I did like this one a teeny bit better, possibly because there weren’t as many creatures present, or perhaps because I knew what to expect of their appearance and wasn’t disappointed like I was the first round.  This film has its moments, but some other complaints I have are that it’s often predictable and it ended too soon, feeling incomplete.  That could either mean I did enjoy it more than I thought since it ended too quick (it was roughly 90-minutes), or there’s a third one planned and this was just a segue.  I’m not the biggest fan of this franchise so far (predominantly because of those creatures), but curiosity will get the better of me, like it did here, if they make a threequel, and perhaps that entry will be the best one.  I’m not expecting a damn thing…8/10/2021

Bonus review:

Profile                                                                         OK
Has the “first-person POV entirely on a computer screen” film become a subgenre yet?  Searching and Unfriended (and its sequel) are the only ones that come to mind, so I don’t think there are quite enough yet (you can read my review for Searching here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/09/mooby-reviews-92118.html and Unfriended:  Dark Web here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/10/mooby-reviews-102818.html; I wasn’t writing these blog entries when Unfriended was released, but my archives indicate I gave it an OK/G rating).  This title can be added to the list as it follows a female journalist from the U.K. pretending to be a Muslim convert in order to track down ISIS members, all shown via a computer screen.  I don’t know how watching a computer screen for an entire film can manage to work; it certainly worked for Searching and Unfriended was decent (the sequel, not as much), and this was undeniably engaging for a decent amount of time (a little over 100-minutes too).  However, the payoff was totally anticlimactic (as well as unsurprising in the least), even though this was based on a true story (hell, what isn’t these days?), but true stories are often (and can be) twisted to a degree in entertainment, no?  8/13/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Aftermath (2021)  >>>EH
     (Netflix)

The Arbors  >>>OK

Home Before Dark (Season 2)  >>>OK/G
     (Apple TV; 10 episodes)

Hostage House  >>>EH
     (Netflix)

Last Summer (2013; dir. Mark Thiedeman)  >>>EH

Pray Away  >>>OK/G
  (Netflix)

The Swarm (2021)  >>>EH/OK
   (Netflix; In French with subtitles)

Twentynine Palms  >>>EH/OK
   (In French and English with subtitles)

Vivo  >>>OK/G
  (Netflix)

---Sean O.
8/14/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment