Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Nope/Orphan: First Kill

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope                                                                            OK
Jordan Peele’s third film.  Was it his best?  Nope!  It might be my least favorite of his so far, but I didn’t dislike it.  I did like Get Out even though I didn’t quite read it right the first time, and watching it a second time with more knowledge didn’t alter my opinion (you can read my review for it in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2017/03/mooby-reviews-3112017.html). I kind of liked Us too, but I’m still a bit baffled with some of its logic even after two viewings (you can read my review for it here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/03/us.html). Surely you must have heard by now that this feature involves aliens, or something otherworldly.  Someone posited that the title might be an acronym for Not of Planet Earth.  That’s a possibility, but the title is just a word uttered by more than one character during the film.  There are definitely interesting aspects to this, and, even though it’s a bit over 2 hours, it didn’t seem like it despite containing uneventful moments.  I didn’t quite understand some it completely by the time it was over, and it happens, so I’ll admit I looked up spoilers to try and have everything answered (I have a real problem with not having all my questions answered, unless I can postulate my own conclusions).  I did have the majority of my questions answered after researching and my overall opinion didn’t really change; reading up on it made me realize how truly straightforward it is (which isn’t necessarily a complaint).  Like I said, I didn’t dislike it and might like it better the next time, Jordan Peele definitely being a filmmaker to keep an eye on (he knows his horror), but I just wasn’t entirely impressed.  Nope, nope, nope!  8/20/2022

Orphan:  First Kill                                                      EH/OK
Orphan is one of those movies wherein the twist made it better.  [You’ve had 13 years to see it; plus, I don’t know why you would have an interest in this prequel (currently in theaters as well as on Paramount+), or reading this review, if you haven’t seen it].  It began like a typical evil kid flick and the twist made it much darker and twisted, especially when you watch it again with more knowledge.  I wasn’t sure how a prequel would be since we already know Esther’s secret (the “orphan” in question), and being a prequel with First Kill as part of the title, you know she’s going to make it out alive and the family here is going to perish by the end.  It’s basically prolonging the inevitable from the beginning, no?  And, if I recall, I believe they revealed what happened to her previous “family” in Orphan.  Anyway, this began very formulaic, but I’ll admit that a twist midway did take me by surprise and momentarily made me more interested (emphasis on the momentarily).  Whereas the previous film’s twist made it a better movie, it wasn’t quite the same case here.  It has its moments, very limited, but it was often predictable and uninspired, making it an unnecessary prequel.  8/22/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Arctic Void  >>>EH/OK

The Cottage (2022)  >>>B

Fall (2022)  >>>OK/G

Living Dolls  >>>EH

South Park:  The 25th Anniversary Concert  >>>G

Still of the Night  >>>OK

---Sean O.
8/23/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment