Sunday, August 7, 2022

They/Them

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

They/Them                                                                  OK/G
New Peacock film wherein LGBT teens attend a conversion camp, although they’re informed in the beginning it’s not a typical conversion camp.  Uh-huh.  Apparently conversion therapy still exists in parts of the world.  Back in the Nineties when it was still largely unacceptable to be gay, my parents even suggested a group consisting of other individuals looking to “change their ways.”  I refused.  Anyway, this film is basically But I’m a Cheerleader with a body count.  Unfortunately, it is more But I’m a Cheerleader than Sleepaway Camp, or even Friday the 13th (Kevin Bacon does appear here, after all), which wouldn’t have been so bad if I didn’t expect more of a Sleepaway Camp.  After a rather standard slasher kill in the beginning (that doesn’t mean ineffective though), there isn’t another kill for quite a while and then not another one a bit after that.  It does give us ample time to get to know the majority of characters, yes, but many of the kills weren’t that impressive and the killer’s identity was way too obvious.  Plus, it felt like there should’ve been more to it by the time it was over.  Still, it was decent for a slasher made in 2022 that is meant to be inclusive, at least character-wise.  I think the ultimate message indicates how much damage these conversion therapy organizations cause (needless to say).  8/5/2022

Bonus review:

Jurassic World:  Camp Cretaceous (Season Five)      EH
Allegedly the last season of this Netflix spinoff series and I hope they’re right!  This definitely far outstayed its welcome.  I think it should’ve ended after the first season, although I did like season three as well, so maybe after that.  I only had a teensy bit of fun in these 12 episodes all roughly 24-minutes (basically it’s almost 5 hours wasted).  It got way too political.  I couldn’t wait for it to be over from the very beginning, but since I made it this far I couldn’t not finish.  I really have no more to say other than I didn’t enjoy this season at all (others like me will watch it anyway, if they haven’t already, and maybe they’ll like it better than I did).  I didn’t like the last Jurassic World movie either (Dominion; you can read my review for it here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/06/jurassic-world-dominion.html), so I think this franchise is done for me, as it should be for everyone else (like I said, I hope they really mean this is the end, for both the TV series and films).  7/25/2022

Here are my reviews for the other seasons:

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Crushed (2022)  >>>OK
            (Tubi)

The Curious Case of Dolphin Bay  >>>EH
                        (Disney+)

8 Days to Hell  >>>EH

Midnight  >>>OK
   (In Korean with subtitles)

Paper Girls (Season One)  >>>OK
   (Amazon Prime; 8 episodes)

ShadowMarsh  >>>EH

---Sean O.
8/7/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment